Home News President Buhari says Niger Delta Avengers’ threat to renew hostilities unnecessary

President Buhari says Niger Delta Avengers’ threat to renew hostilities unnecessary

1001
0

President Muhammadu Buhari has said that the threat issued by the Niger Delta Avengers is rather unnecessary.

The militant group, in a statement on Saturday, had announced the launch of ‘operation humble’, a new mission to resume attacks in the oil-rich region, on the grounds that the south-south remains the most underdeveloped region in the country, with their needs and interests “undermined by the failed Nigerian State”.

However, in a statement via his media aide, Mr. Femi Adesina, the president was quoted as saying that all issues raised by the group were already responded to when he met with the leadership of the Niger Delta and Ijaw National Congress (INC), at the presidential villa last Thursday.

Mr. Adesina quotes the President as saying “the hydrocarbon pollution remediation project has started in Ogoni land and the Minister of Environment had been directed to ensure that the projects are implemented with a high percentage of local content and inclusion of the surrounding communities”.