The President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), has said his regime remained committed to winning the war against terrorism and other forms of insecurity.
He added that his regime would stop at nothing to ensure citizens have a new Nigeria free from insecurity before bowing out of office.
The president spoke at the unveiling of locally produced 700 Ashok Leyland troops carrying vehicles in Abuja on Friday.
He, however, commended the military’s efforts at ensuring peace and stability in the country, promising that he would ensure their labour won’t go unrewarded.
Buhari said, “As a country, we are proud since the first seven years, we have been able to revitalise our armed forces for the protection of the Nigeria’s territorial integrity that was once violated by Boko Haram insurgency and other forms of criminality in the country.
“I commend the armed forces for their support and role played during the presidential and National Assembly elections. I want to assure you all, that your labour will not be in vain. My regime would continue to support you in every aspect including improving your welfare.
“Let me also assure Nigerians, the Federal Government remains steadfast and committed to winning the war against insurgency and other forms of criminalities. We will not relent until we have a new Nigeria that is free from the terrorism menace”
The Minister of Defence Major General, Bashir Magashi (retd.), said the process of transforming the armed forces had been difficult because of the security and economic challenges confronting the nation.
He said, “It is worthy of note that the process of transforming the Armed Forces of Nigeria over the years has not been easy given the numerous multi-dimensional security and economic challenges facing the country. Notwithstanding, the current administration has security as a priority in its agenda, hence the need to equip the Armed Forces with all necessary platforms to ensure peace and security in the country.”
According to him, the project was initiated by the Office of the National Security Adviser in 2014, adding that the delivery was delayed due to administrative errors.
He, however, said the vehicles would help improve the operational activities of the armed forces.
He said,” At this juncture, permit me to state that the complexity of crimes in various spheres of operation requires all actors both public and private to synergize efforts to safeguard the nation from every form of anti-establishment activities. It is therefore most pleasant to take delivery of these troops-carrying vehicles, especially at this period to facilitate the operational activities of the Armed Forces.”