The Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN) has revealed fresh discrepancies surrounding the identity of the Engineer initially linked to the tragic building collapse in Durumi, Abuja.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) recalls a three-storey building under construction collapsed on May 16, at Durumi 3 Area, near Gudu Market
killing at least five workers and injuring several others.
COREN Registrar, Okorie Uche, disclosed that preliminary findings showed that the individual publicly identified as the project engineer was neither the certified consultant on the site nor properly registered to handle such a project.
Okorie revealed this on Friday in Abuja during an interactive meeting with the media and stakeholders.
“Preliminary findings have already revealed discrepancies regarding the identity of the engineer initially linked to the tragic building collapse in Abuja.
“We have been able to establish that the person being identified as the engineer on the site is not the one involved.
“So, to those already circulating his name in the media, he is not the person responsible.
“He was previously associated with the company on a different project, and at some point, the signboard was moved from one site to another while his name remained on it,” he said.
The COREN Registrar clarified that while the individual involved in the construction is an engineering personnel, he is not a certified engineer qualified to serve as a consultant on such a project.
He explained that the engineering profession consists of four cadres, engineers, technologists, technicians and craftsmen .
Uche, however, stressed that only a registered engineer could legally function as a consultant on such a project.
He explained that the person that appeared on the project as the engineer has only his name on it, but the engineering number belonged to another person.
Uche said the two people involved were, therefore, invited for interactions for clarification.
He further explained that the person whose name appeared as consultant, but with a different number, said he had even stopped consulting for that particular project since May 1 .
The COREN Registrar also announced that a full investigative panel would be set up within two weeks to unravel the circumstances leading to the tragic incidence.
He said the investigations would determine the actual cause of the collapse and identify all individuals and organizations connected to the failed structure for necessary action to be taken.
Uche said the investigations would be a collaborative efforts between Abuja Building Control and COREN to actually stem the tide of building collapse in Abuja metropolis.
“People who are involved in collapsed building, at times are playing pranks.
“Some developers deliberately circumvent professional procedures by engaging unqualified personnel and ignoring standard safety measures,” he said.
The COREN Registrar lamented over the casualties recorded from the collapse contending that little precaution would have saved the situation.(NAN)